Resources for Thru-Hiking
Backpacking Paradox 1: The longer your trek, the less you should carry. To carry less, everything you pack or wear should do double duty and be extremely lightweight, whenever possible.
Backpacking Paradox 2: The lighter your pack, the more experience you need to have.
Our upcoming thru-hiking clinics and featured products will help you through these conundrums!
EXOFFICIO BUGSAWAY® APPAREL
BugsAway® Mesh Cape Hat - $40.00
Men's BugsAway® Breez'r L/S - $85.00
Men's BugsAway® Sandfly Pant - $80.00Shown above:
BugsAway® Adventure Hat - $45.00
Women's BugsAway® Breez'r L/S - $85.00
Women's BugsAway® Damselfly Pant - $80.00
Long-lasting, Effective Sun & Bug Protection*. Head to Toe.
With odorless and invisible insect protection, the only way to tell it’s there is that the bugs aren’t biting. The built-in insect repellent Permethrin provides a carefree outdoor experience, letting you focus on your adventure, not the bugs. Great for backpacking, hiking, camping and all things outdoors.
- Built-in UPF & insect protection do double duty
- Durable—lasts through 70 washes
- Stays in your clothes, not on your skin
- Easy care
Why buy ExOfficio?
In ExOfficio’s clothing, you’ll find some of the most advanced clothing technology around such as indestructible buttons, built-in UV, wrinkle and insect protection, ventilation vents and security-zip pockets. ExOfficio matches the perfect performance features to each specific piece, which means you get exactly what you need for whatever you plan to do.
OSPREY VOLT & VIVA BACKPACKS
Volt 60 and Viva 50- $180.00
These packs offer value-conscious users the chance to buy a quality pack that truly fits and carries well. Outfitted with all the essential features, but light on bells and whistles, these packs are all about ensuring a quality carry and an enjoyable experience in the backcountry.
- Fit-on-the-Fly™ Hipbelt: Extends up to 3" on each side to provide custom fit.
- Hipbelt Pockets: Provides easily accessible & secure storage while hiking.
- External Hydration Sleeve: Simplifies refilling and protects pack contents from spills.
- Sleeping Bag Compartment: Features a wide mouth with divider.
- Stow-on-the-Go™ Feature: For quickly storing trekking poles without removing pack.
- Stretch Mesh Front Pocket: Large stretch mesh pocket for quickly stashing extra gear.
- Stretch Mesh Side & Hipbelt Pockets: Keeps water bottles or other gear easily accessible.
- Top Pocket: Organizes smaller items & extends to handle overloads.
- Torso Adjustment: Easily adjustable over a 5"range to provide exact fit.
- Side stretch woven pockets
- Two zippered hip belt pockets
- External hydration sleeve
- Front panel stretch mesh pocket*
- Patterned reflective graphic
- Ice tool attachment loop(s) with bungee tie offs
- Stow-On-The-Go™ trekking pole attachment*
- Women’s Tempest: Women’s-specific harness, hip belt and torso sizing
Why Buy Osprey?
Anchored by the design genius of company founder and head designer Mike Pfotenhauer, Osprey has long set the standard for making comfortable and efficient, well-made gear. Since 1974, every single pack design bearing the name Osprey has passed through his hands--a legacy and commitment to quality that Adventure 16 is proud to support.
VASQUE MEN’S & WOMEN’S BREEZE BOOT
Men's and Women's Breeze Boot - $149.99
Whether you’re hiking or backpacking, the breathable, lightweight and durable Breeze 2.0 is perfectly suited for an effort beyond what you thought “possible.” Will you go faster or farther? That’s up to you.
- Out-of-the-box comfort
- Stable Vibram® outsole
- Vasque’s most breathable hiking boot
- Women’s Model: Women’s-specific last (added support in the in-step, narrow heel pocket)
The Vasque Breeze is the PREFERRED boot of A16 PCT thru-hiker Shian Sung. (shown at right)
WHY BUY VASQUE FOOTWEAR?
Vasque footwear is field tested by top athletes on the world’s wildest peaks. Their reputation for durable, high performance outdoor footwear is legendary.
Vasque hiking boots and trail running shoes set a high standard for quality. With a stable of award-winning footwear, Vasque offers a model your feet will absolutely love. Aftermarket-quality footbeds and multiple-density midsoles are just a couple of the many features that puts Vasque a step above most others.
UPCOMING THRU-HIKING/ULTRALITE BACKPACKING EVENTS at A16!
HIKING THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL CLINIC--FREE! Learn tips for gear and trip planning for backpacking California's premiere long-distance backpacking trail.
HAPPY HALF-HOUR: 6:30pm; PCT SLIDE PRESENTATION: 7pm
A16 Solana Beach: Tuesday, April 14
A16 San Diego: Wednesday, April 15
A16 Tarzana: Thursday, April 16
A16 West LA: Friday, April 17
A16 San Diego: May 20 at 7pm
A16 West L.A.: May 22 at 7pm
THRU-HIKING THE JOHN MUIR TRAIL WORKSHOP--FREE!
Hints, tips, logistics, route planning and more to prepare for this hike of a lifetime! Presented by USD Adventure Center Guide & JMT thru-hiker, Tobias Nickel.
Wednesday, May 27: A16 San Diego Store--HAPPY HALF HOUR: 6:30, PRESENTATION: 7pm;
A collection of John Muir Trail plein-air oil paintings--featured in the movie Mile, Mile and a Half--by artists Kristen and Tom Stipanov, will be on display and available for purchase on May 27 (San Diego only).
Friday, May 29: A16 West LA Store--PRESENTATION: 7pm